Sunday 11 April 2010

I fought the law.. and the law won

As hundreds of my faithfull readers already noticed, my popular blog The CTI Never Sleeps is no more. After several weeks of continuous rififi with G**gle and despite the fact that I obeyed every single one of the DMCA complaints avalanche, the blog has been finally taken down yesterday. Can't say I didn't see the pendulum swing and in fact I was about to radically transform or even close the blog myself after it reached 1.000.000 visitors. The ticker finally stopped at 968,209.

No doubt that the golden days of crate-digging blogs are over. It's small wonder that The CTI Never Sleeps survived the first waves of blog-killing spree of this year, which affected many great jazz blogs including Smooth's My Jazz World, El Reza, BeeQ, Jazzever or Call It Anything. We've been through thick and thin and the last months were flawed by post take-downs, comments sections spammed by chinese nogoodniks and also total lack of donations (which I didn't let affect the blog contents), so the situation wasn't bearable any longer.

I'd like to say thank you to all the concerned The CTI Never Sleeps readers who kept coming in thousands every day and who literally flooded my email today with condolations and questions regarding the future of the blog. Frankly I do not see it in bright colours as The Man had not only taken the blog down but also depraved me of all the content including hundreds of posts and thousands of your lovely comments. As there is no backup and the blog was deleted even from G**gle archive cache, I can't imagine how could I restore almost 3 years of work on another server just to wait for the pendulum to swing again.

What I can imagine is some small-scale under-the-radar version of The CTI Never Sleeps with link to my extensive password-protected RS Link List. I've put quite some time into re-ripping the site content into lossless formats so there's still a lot of stuff that would surely please the readers and wasn't posted due to the DMCA notifications shower. No need to say that readers who donate will be given premium access. Please allow me a couple of days to sort it out and come with some reasonable compromise.

Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Audiovisor said...

Sorry for all these recent mishappenings involving your great blog and congrats on your brave fight against all those MFs from ggle & dmca!.. even if the final result wasn't the best.

I hope you are not feeliing that bad and that you figure out the best to do by now. Be sure thousands of people out there are missing really CTI.N.S.

Best regards!

alex said...

hi lemuria,
so sorry all this shit has come down on you m8!
your blogs were brilliant-stumbled across this on smooths joint.
many thanks for all your great posts-appreciated!
perhaps the only way to survive is to get your ownsite/domain???


respect

aorto said...

Sorry 'bout the blog. I feel your pain. It's tough to keep going, kind of takes the wind out of the sails.

Taking it slow this time as I'm not sure which post nailed the coffin shut. Looks like the sixth or seventh notice did the trick.

It's inevitable. The record industry as we know it will die a painfully slow death.

The true artists, label owners and their loyal fans have a strong ethic and know the score.

Those who ride on the waves of this new world will make it to shore. Those who choose to drop anchor will drown.

In the meantime, don't give up the fight.

And, as always, support your favorite artists/labels in any way you can.

Laurent - Clap Yo Handz said...

Hi, I just discover your 90's blog and it looks great. I read about the CTI blog and honestly, I'm certainly not a cop but you know you don't have the "right" (and I'm talking about the artists, not law). I don't have neither when I download with rapidshare or mediafire. You play a game, if the game stops, and that you don't even have any other problems, that's finally not so bad, don't you think?
I'm sure my point of view is not your, I just started my own blog for 2 months and it doesn't take me lot of time. I mean: I'm not comparing, of course.
One more time I don't say: "Ah, ah, you deserve it, bloody pirate". But maybe you simply did that enough time!
Anyway, this discussion about downloading is complex, don't really have time to wrote what's in my mind now.
REgards, and sorry for the mistakes

#