Saturday 16 January 2010

Grand Theft Data

So I woke up on the New Year's Day, refreshed all the panels I keep open in my browser and found that my 40GB Rapidshare account is nowhere to be found. Two years of work gone just like that. Apparently I was awarded The First Stolen Identity Of 2010 Prize. What? How could it happen? Shock! Panic! And then.. sheer depression.

Understand, I've been active in the music sharing "industry" for at least 10 years. I've been through the FTP trade, seen the golden days of Limewire, been a superpeer on Soulseek. Never ever somebody attempted to steal anything from me. This blog'n'storage thing is so different. Everything's outsourced so no one has really control over anything.

Back then it used to be me, my box and a mile-thick firewall to guard my files from the low men out there. Nowadays everything that guards me is a password. And there ain't nothing like unbreakable password. Not mentioning the fact that G**gle can shut down any of my blogs without a singe word, as it happened to my beloved Lemuria blog.

It took me a while to get all the paperwork for RS tech support together so I had some unpleasant time to contemplate. What if the files ain't coming back? What am I to do? Am I going to spend next two years uploading stuff back to satify 920.000 visitors of my blogs? Probably just to be robbed again in the near future?

Although the Rapidshare service was far from Swiss precission, I finally managed to get my account back. What a relief! Finally I realised it's hard to imagine life without daily feedback from you, my readers. I love to read your comments in the morning and I appreciate the donations that pay the RS bill like every third month. So.. we're good. Aren't we?

2 comments:

Audiovisor said...

Oh man,

What a mess! Fortunatel things have come back to normal..

See you!

Nathan said...

Good to hear... I was worried the blog was going to be abandoned.